Missing teeth are a dental concern that should be addressed as soon as possible. Fayetteville dentist Greenway Dental Care offers a full range of tooth replacement options for patients missing one or more teeth. Visit our Fayetteville dentist office to determine if dental implants, dentures, or a dental bridge is right for you.
Causes of Missing Teeth
As we age, it is natural to lose baby teeth and develop adult teeth. However, once the permanent teeth develop, there is not another instance where losing teeth is normal. Once you develop your permanent teeth, it is important to create and maintain a healthy oral hygiene routine to keep your smile healthy and functional. Taking care of your smile may reduce your risk of experiencing tooth loss.
The common causes of tooth loss include:
- Trauma: Dental trauma is anything that causes damage to your teeth. The most common types of dental trauma are accidents and sports-related injuries. Wearing a custom fit mouthguard may reduce your risk of knocked out or chipped teeth.
- Gum Disease: Gum disease is one of the leading causes of tooth loss in adults. As gum disease progresses, the gum tissue breaks down until it can no longer support the teeth. Patients with advanced stage gum disease may notice loose or shifting teeth before they experience tooth loss.
- Tooth Decay: Tooth decay is the result of bacteria and plaque build-up that is not properly removed from the teeth. This combination creates an acid that attacks the tooth enamel. Tooth decay can affect the health, function, and appearance of your smile. When left untreated, tooth decay may lead to tooth loss.
Replacing Missing Teeth
Missing teeth are more than just a cosmetic issue. When even one tooth is lost, it can impact the way you chew and speak. Replacing missing teeth can not only restore beauty to your smile, but it can also improve the function and health of your teeth.
Bones are similar to the muscles in the sense that if they are not regularly stimulated, they will begin to deteriorate. The bone tissue in the jaw is stimulated when you speak, eat, or chew. Even losing one tooth can result in bone density loss. When you lose a whole or partial arch of teeth, the bone loss is often more pronounced and may result in speech problems and facial sagging.
Leaving missing teeth untreated can result in changes in the bite, additional tooth loss, and other complex dental problems. Addressing tooth loss as soon as possible can help reduce your risk of complications.
What Are My Treatment Options For Missing Teeth?
At Greenway Dental Care, Greenway Dental Care and our dental care team work with each patient on an individual basis to understand their dental needs. Greenway Dental Care will discuss your cosmetic goals and evaluate the condition of your teeth to determine the best tooth replacement option for you.
After your consultation, Greenway Dental Care may recommend one or more of the following solutions to restore your missing teeth:
- Dental Implants: Implants have one of the highest patient success rates. Patients often choose dental implants because they offer a long lasting and natural looking solution to tooth loss. They are comprised of a post, abutment, and a restoration. Depending on the number and location of missing teeth, Greenway Dental Care can complete your implants with a dental crown, denture, or dental bridge.
- Dentures: Dentures are an ideal solution for patients missing all of their teeth. For a more secure solution, dentures can be fixed into place using dental implants.
- Dental Bridge: A dental bridge is designed to fill the gap left behind by a missing tooth. A bridge is fixed into place using dental crowns and the adjacent teeth or by dental implants. An implant secured dental bridge offers added comfort and stability.
Schedule An Appointment
Greenway Dental Care offers a full range of treatment options for patients who are missing teeth. Greenway Dental Care can work with you to determine which type of tooth replacement option is right for your smile. To schedule an appointment, call (479) 217-3178 or request an appointment online.
Missing Teeth FAQs
What will happen if I do not replace my missing teeth?
Failure to replace missing teeth (even a single tooth) will result in an open gap along the arch. This gap will cause the surrounding teeth to shift towards the open space. As the teeth shift, the bite alignment can lead to issues such as chewing problems or a TMJ disorder. Gaps along the arch also make it harder to keep your teeth clean which can lead to gum disease and tooth decay.
Why are dental implants the best treatment for missing teeth?
Dental implants are the only tooth replacement option that will replace the tooth at the root. This will help preserve the jaw bone and prevent your facial features from altered. They also help make the replacement teeth more durable and stable. This will allow you to have a greater chewing force and eat a greater variety of foods. Having your missing teeth replaced with dental implants also preserves your remaining healthy teeth.
Will missing teeth change my face?
Facial collapse can occur if there are no teeth to support it. Also, bone loss is commonly associated with missing teeth. When bone loss occurs in the jaw, the mouth begins to sink into the face, the chin will appear pointed, the skin around the mouth begins to sag and wrinkle begin to form. All of these factors will completely alter your face and change your appearance.